This month's issue is dedicated to my fellow SOHO (small office, home office) business owners. I always admired my SOHO business owner clients when I worked as a chartered accountant and now I am thrilled to be among them. I wouldn't change that for anything in the world.
I am still amazed that I found coaching. It was made for me. It allows me to do everything I love: choose my working hours, have long, interesting telephone conversations, drink coffee in Adelaide's best cafes, meet fascinating people with inspiring ideas and work with them to create work and lives that they love. What could be better? And I now have a nice boss too. Me!
The scary thing is, I have become just like many of my old tax clients. When am I going to do my tax return? Yes, I know! I promise I'll get to it soon : - )
Tania Basheer - Publisher
Living the dream e-zine
| Feature Article: 10 Ingredients for SOHO Success
Each day when I wake up, I thank my lucky stars that I now enjoy the exhilaration and sheer pleasure of running my own wonderful SOHO business. I love it!
It wasn't like that a few short years ago when I worked in public practice as a chartered accountant. However, I am also grateful for the lessons that being an employee and my professional career have taught me.
My SOHO business is flexible enough to support my clients' needs as well as my own and I have created it around three of my highest values - love, beauty and freedom.
I believe that's one of the reasons it's been successful for me. So that's my little secret ingredient and advice - make sure that your business is aligned with your highest values. I think what makes you unique also makes you successful.
Here are 10 more secret ingredients that are essential:
Take some time out now to notice where you may need to pay some more attention to increase the success of your business. It will be time well spent.
- Work twice as much on yourself as you do on your business: Remember, you represent your business so you need to work on keeping your mind, body and spirit in great shape.
- Write down your strategic and business plans and pursue them systematically: I know. Your business and strategic plans are in your head, right? That's where mine were for my first two years in business. Not any more. Writing your thoughts down and creating goals is the first step to bringing them to life. If you'd like a great template to use, ask me for a copy of the solo entrepreneur business plan that I've used. Articulating your plan to someone who is interested will also make it easier to begin doing it.
- Leverage your time and find great people to support you in achieving what you want: When you are in business on your own there are often more things to do than there are hours in the day, let alone the business day. Work out who can help you where and, as far as possible, start to delegate what is not the best use of your time. Hire experts in areas where you don't have skills, like marketing and tax. Work with a coach or mentor if you'd like to take your business to the next level and maximise your results.
- Invest time now to create systems that will save you time in future: Create systems and structures that will help with your work flow, from financial to administrative to HR. Have record-keeping systems, bookkeeping systems, filing systems, debt collection and invoicing systems that are easy to use, so that you can easily retrieve information you need at any time. You may like to get a professional organiser to help you.
- Know that self pity gets you nowhere: Not every day is a winner. It's OK to make mistakes and quite normal for things not to go to plan all the time. We often learn the most from our unsuccessful days. The important thing when things go wrong is to stop spinning your wheels, pick yourself up and take action to get back on track.
- Be organised: Structure your days and time. Notice where you are spending your time and where you may be wasting it. Apply the 80/20 rule to your daily 'to do' list to make sure you are setting aside the time you need to do the most critical things first. Remember to schedule time daily for yourself too!
- Be responsible, especially when you delegate: When you are in business on your own, the only person responsible for your success is you. You are in charge of every aspect of your business. Take responsibility for things being done by others and ensure that they are being done the way that you want.
- Get used to stepping out of your comfort zone: Take risks. Be open to new encounters. Go, you might meet someone! Get comfortable asking about money. Be prepared to discard something you already have for the promise of something better to come and learn to say 'no' to work that doesn't sit right with you.
- When you get an inspiration, go for it!: Listen to your intuition and, when you get a burst of inspiration, act on it. You never know where it might lead. If you don't, you may miss a wonderful opportunity and be left wondering 'what if?'
- Don't quit just before the miracle occurs: Being a SOHO business owner can be scary at times and there may be days that you are ready to throw it all in to get a paid job, especially when the phone goes quiet and the bank balance runs low. When this happens, practise being faithful and patient. Concentrate on visualising and staying focused on your vision and what you want. If you have been doing everything else right, you'll soon witness the miracle you need.
For more free tips on staying focused, overcoming procrastination and reaching your goals, or to find out more about one-to-one business, executive or life coaching and arrange a no-obligation session with Tania, visit the Blue Sky Coaching website at www.blueskycoaching.com.au. Tania can be contacted, Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm (Adelaide CST) on (08) 8338 3134 or 0411 471 941 or by e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org.
| Group Telecoaching: 2005 Intentional Resolutions
||This fun and inspiring group telecoaching series is now in full swing!
If you would like to be part of this group for 3 sessions and enjoy the process of achieving your business and personal goals this year while applying creative topics to inspire you, register your interest now.
Next opportunity to join us will bem from Wednesday, 17 August 2005, 8pm - 9pm (Adelaide CST) for 3 sessions. Our monthly topics will be: Tapping into your intuition, Anti-goals and Letting go.
Sign up now at the *Special Early Bird* Price of $75, available until 30 June 2005. Book Now! Regular price from 1 July will be $90.
| Autumn Special Competition
Over $300 value! Drawn 31 May 2005.
Simply click on the competition image to enter for your chance to WIN a copy of Sea change: Australians in pursuit of the good life by Cindy Dowling PLUS a 90-minute introductory one-to-one business, executive or life coaching session with me.
Winner of the Summer Special Competition:
| The Energy Tapping Workshop
Would you like to learn a way to quickly release stress, anxiety, physical pain such as migraine headaches, beat low self esteem, control your fears - like public speaking, spiders, flying - and deal with your self-sabotaging beliefs, behaviours, addictions or other negative emotions or patterns? Several years ago, I discovered a fascinating technique for doing all of this called Energy Tapping, also known as E.F.T. (Emotional Freedom Technique).
To register your place for my next 3-hour Saturday morning workshop on 14 May 2005, click on the Energy Tapping Workshops button.
Each group is kept to a *maximum* of six participants only.
Investment: $75 (includes morning tea and workbook).
| Next month: 10 Ways to Boost Your Emotional Energy
Do you wish you had more energy? Do you often feel drained, even after a good night's sleep? You may be suffering from emotional fatigue.
Tune in next month to learn the strategies used by high-energy people to beat emotional fatigue.
This month I'd like to thank my mum and dad, both of whom have been a huge source of inspiration for me throughout my life.
My dad has always been my hero. Today, he would have been 81. Dad, I love you and I miss you so much.
Thankfully, despite having been a hospital patient all month, we did get a chance to bring my mum home on Sunday, to celebrate her birthday in style. I love you Mum.
And I'd also like to acknowledge all of the wonderful carers out there, paid and unpaid, who look after their parents, siblings, children, spouses, friends and the frail. You are special people. Well done.
| Sponsors and Advertisements
Take the next step with your business promotion. Let us design or re-design a website or e-zine tailored to suit your potential market and budget.
Fast, friendly and efficient digital design services including presentations designed to impress, automated e-zines for low cost regular communication, surveys or on-line polls to help you reach your unique market.
Other services include content-managed websites, animation and promotional and educational DVDs and CD-ROMs.
For a free quote or more information on our extensive range of services call Peter or Grant at Blue Onion on (08) 8395 5492 or visit www.blue-onion.com.au.
June 3, 4, & 5 2005
Don't miss your opportunity to be involved in Australia's first Eco Living Expo! Solar energy, conservation, organic garden design, recycling, skin care, energy-efficient housing, ethical investment and so much more in a showcase of products and services that promote environmental responsibility and contribute to a sustainable future.
The Eco Living Expo also coincides with World Environment Day.
So whether you are interested in exhibiting or just want to check out our new and emerging lifestyle trends visit www.ecolivingexpo.com.au or call Pia Vogrin on (08) 8447 1366.
Ever imagined having a personal assistant at home? Lifestyle Elements is a personal concierge and lifestyle management service.
They are here to assist you with the dilemma of not having enough time in your day. Lifestyle Elements provides professional, personalised service, linking you to a network of ideas, support and service providers to complete all those items on your 'to do' list.
There is no job too big or small for Lifestyle Elements. From errand-running and grocery shopping, to holiday planning and birthday parties ...their services are only limited by your imagination. Gift vouchers available for Mothers Day!
Contact Abbie Martin and take advantage of Lifestyle Elements 'FREE initial consultation' and discuss further how they can assist you on 08 8234 8657 or by email on email@example.com. Visit their website at www.lifestyleelements.com.au.
Do it or delegate it! Stress Less can help you manage the 'cause and effect' syndrome. If something causes you to feel overwhelmed or ineffective, it will result in you being less efficient and successful! The variety of services offered by Stress Less are delivered personally and professionally by Julie Perrin with integrity and reliability in accordance with your needs and wants, in combination with Julie's observations whilst working with and for you - in your home or office.
In engaging the services of Stress Less, you are taking the first steps to:
- managing your environment, and
- developing a personal strategy to assist you achieve your goals.
Stress Less can provide a realistic assessment and will assist you regain the order in your personal or professional life. Act now!
Call Julie on m: 0412 673 890 to discuss how you can help yourself be or do all the things you want or need to do.
TCTV Media Productions specialises in helping small businesses to get their message across - effectively!
- Promote your product or business.
- Train your staff or customers.
- Develop professional marketing materials.
Our wordsmith provides writing, editing and proofreading services for your printed material and website. Creating effective, error-free text takes time, so let us do that while you get on with running your business.
Our digital video section records seminars and produces broadcast-quality promotions. Show off your business to potential clients everywhere.
Save both time and money by letting us manage the project when you want brochures, business cards, a website or a promotional DVD. With our network of strategic alliances, we organise everything you need, from the initial concept right through to completion - graphic design, words, vision and printing.
Contact Chris Horsman on p.8389 3057 m.0438 131 049 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for your FREE demonstration DVD.
Reading this Ad? Then why not place yours here. Do you have a product, service or special offer that you'd like to let hundreds of entrepreneurs, SOHO business owners, busy professionals and business executives know about? To find out more about advertising in this e-zine and to reserve your spot, e-mail Tania your details today at email@example.com and include 'e-zine ad' in the subject line.
Advertising Disclaimer: Blue Sky Coaching does not endorse or represent the accuracy or reliability of any of the advertisements included above or the quality of goods, services or information obtained by you in connection with engaging the services of or purchasing goods from the above suppliers.