Send to friends
Click here to send Living the dream to up to 5 friends!
Click here to view this and all previous issues on-line.
Quote of the month
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
- Henry Ford
Next month's feature:
10 Tips for Being a Great Leader
In this issue:
Welcome to Living the dream, Blue Sky Coaching's monthly e-zine, written for small business owners, young entrepreneurs and service industry professionals and filled with cutting edge success tips to help you skyrocket your income, enjoy more personal time off and be known as a star in your field.
If you enjoy receiving Living the dream e-zine, please pass it on to anyone else you think might like to receive it too. Every 50th subscriber will receive a $50 Myer gift card and so will you, if you were responsible for referring them.
You can read all previous issues of Living the dream e-zine any time at: www.blueskycoaching.com.au/ezine.
Hi! from Tania
Guess what? No, our renovations aren't done yet. Don't be ridiculous! I knew 2 weeks was a long shot, given tradesmen were involved - don't get me started about tradesmen! They've given me lots of ideas for a future Top 10 Tips for Tradesmen article though, like: Tip one - buy a watch; and Tip two - don't park your truck directly behind our driveway. At least Jake's enjoyed playing on the back of their work vehicles.
My big news is I now own my dream oven! That might not sound like a big deal if you're not a 'foodie' like me, but I'm very excited. It's meant some delays to our renovation project (OK, it's my fault), but they've been worth it to have my dream oven.
I also received a beautiful Dura coffee machine for Mothers' Day. Spoilt aren't I? Not that we can use it yet until the tradesmen put our benchtops back on. I'm sure that will happen some day soon, just no idea when.
Tania Basheer - Publisher
Living the dream e-zine
Feature: 10 Things to Delegate to Your Team
So many business entrepreneurs and managers are really busy because they're failing to delegate effectively to their team members. I've also found business owners and executives to be reluctant to delegate because they think this means letting go of control (yes, some of them are control freaks) over what happens.
Not so! By delegating effectively to your staff, you'll be able to let go of the burden of doing everything yourself and gain more control over how you spend your time to get the best results for your business.
What does effective delegation mean? It's giving your team the freedom to get a job done without breathing down their necks; providing them with the right level of support to get the job done well (including the resources, information and training they need); clearly communicating expected results to them and holding your team members accountable for producing those results.
Note: To delegate effectively, it's also important to know what not to delegate. Here's a simple question to ask yourself before you delegate anything: If I delegate this activity, duty, item, project or task to one of my team, will the time spent in providing them with the guidance and support they need to do it pay off later/over time in increased productivity, in how the business functions, or in a better use of my time? If yes, delegate it. If no, don't!
Here are 10 things related to the day-to-day operations of your business that I recommend you start delegating to your team (in-house or virtual) as soon as possible:
- Technical duties: Even if you're the best IT technician in the world, if you're a business owner and there is someone else in your business that has the technical skill set to do the task, then delegate it.
- Responding to enquiries or frequently asked questions: Teach your PA or receptionist how to screen incoming calls so that you're only dealing with those that specifically need your input. Also, ensure you don't take calls at random as they come in. Prioritise their importance and, as often as possible, return calls in batches at scheduled times each day.
- Handling of administrative tasks, correspondence or preparing reports: Ensure that you have adequate systems and team support in your business so that you're not personally spending time on administrative matters, writing correspondence or producing reports that someone else could be doing for you.
- Research: Your team members can be a great resource to help you gather and collate research, for example, quotes for work to be outsourced, new software, new products, as long as you brief them clearly about what it is you want them to do.
- Training: Whether it be training your team on a new software package or training a newly hired team member, consider who on your team can be the trainer. Assign creation of a staff induction kit to your team as well, if you don't already have one in place, including a copy of your operations manual. You do have one of those already, right? If not, there's another task you can delegate!
- Website maintenance: Again, with staff corretly briefed and guided by you, there is no reason a business owner should be spending time here. If you don't have the expertise in-house for this, (or even if you can do this) outsource it and stay focused on what you do best.
- Accounting or bookkeeping duties: Even if you're a CA qualified accountant, like me, don't tie up your valuable time on sending out invoices, paying accounts, wages or updating your financial records. Assign this to a bookkeeper or PA to do for you. Outsource your payroll to an agency. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Preparing your cashflow budget, for example, can be outsourced to your accountant to do in consultation with you. You do use a budget to help you manage your business, right?
- Anything you're not good at, don't have time to do or that's routine: Are there things that you'd love to get off your plate? Filing maybe, or how about managing your team's daily or weekly work schedules, or maintaining a blog? Again, create systems wherever possible to make these tasks simple, so you don't need to be involved in ensuring routine assignments/tasks are handled by the right people.
- Customer problems: Your team should be trained to handle any routine problem that can come up so you're only required to step in, when a non-routine issue comes up, if at all.
- Making decisions connected with day-to-day duties: Empower your team members with the authority they need to make decisions that are related to their day-to-day duties so they don't need to constantly consult or rely on you for advice or approval.
What will you gain in return for your investment in delegating? Increased productivity, staff development and increased engagement, more assistance and coverage, new creativity and solutions, and better use of your time so you can be the great leader your team needs you to be.
If you'd like some assistance in developing your delegation muscles and in successfully building a coaching culture in your business or organisation, please call me on (08) 8338 3134 or 0411 471 941 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'd love to help you do that!
For more business, executive or life coaching tips and strategies to help you achieve your goals and create and live the life you've always wanted, visit: www.blueskycoaching.com.au/ezine/index.php. To find out more about how you can work with me personally, visit: www.blueskycoaching.com.au, or call me on (08) 8338 3134 or e-mail me on email@example.com.
Hire the Right Team Members
Would you like easy access to an inexpensive, but highly effective and simple-to-use tool to help you hire the right team members?
A few years ago I discovered a great online Australian behavioural assessment tool called MyProfile. See www.myprofile.com.au
I've used it with many of my business and executive coaching clients for the past five years to help them identify their own strengths and weaknesses and to select the best people for their teams. It can also be used to help with writing effective employment ads and job descriptions that ensure you attract the right kind of applicants.
MyProfile is also a great tool to use to improve communication within a workplace.
Call me on 0411 471 941 or (08) 8338 3134 if you'd like to discuss how I can assist you personally with MyProfile, including conducting an in-house workshop for your organisation or team.
Cut Your Stress Levels in Half in Less Than 5 Minutes with EFT!
Don't believe that's possible? Well it is! I've proved it on many occasions, from a telecall of 10 people, through to conference groups of over 100 and 200 participants. And, best of all, EFT takes just a few minutes to do and is a technique that you can have at your fingertips to use anywhere, anytime that you need it.
I love this breakthrough technique because it's a painless way to address the causes of stress, without going into the details, and it eliminates the associated emotional charge, fast.
Visit www.blueskycoaching.com.au/energytapping.php to find out how you can learn EFT any time through one of my DVD or downloadable EFT packages, or call me on (08) 8338 3134 or 0411 471 941 to arrange a one-to-one session with me or a workshop session for your group or team.
Autumn Special Competition - Be Quick! Drawn 31 May
To enter my Autumn website competition, simply click on the competition image, or visit: http://www.blueskycoaching.com.au/special.php for your chance to WIN a 90-minute business coaching session with me plus a copy of Secrets of Entrepreneurs Under 40 Exposed! by Dale Beaumont, together valued at over $250!????
In Secrets of Entrepreneurs Under 40 Exposed! you'll discover the amazing stories of fourteen dynamic entrepreneurs, how they think, and their unique insights into what it takes to succeed in business.
Next Month: 10 Tips for Being a Great Leader
Great leaders bring out the best in others. They also improve the thinking of the people around them without telling anyone what to do.
Next month, we'll look at ten tips for being a great leader, to help you improve your own as well as your team's performance.
Sponsors and Advertisements
The Savings and Loans Ecoliving Expo is the best place to start for sustainable living ideas and information.
There are ideas, displays and four speaker areas.
Find out about:
- energy-efficient renovations
- “green” car loans from Savings and Loans
- signing up for "green" power with TRUenergy, and
- comparing products to maximise your government rebates.
Special guest presenter Kim Syrus from Channel Nine’s Garden Gurus will be speaking on Saturday and on Sunday, see Brendan Moar from the Lifestyle Channel’s Dry Spell Gardening.
When: Saturday 31 May and Sunday 1 June
From: 10 am - 5 pm daily
Entry: Adults $10, Concessions $8, children free!
To WIN your tickets, email Tania on firstname.lastname@example.org by 2 pm on Wednesday 28 May with 'expo tickets please' as your subject and how many tickets you'd like to WIN.
Where: Ridley Centre, Adelaide Showground
For the full program visit www.ecolivingexpo.com.au.
IT Consulting for Small Business
IT Support | Network Management | Web Design | IT Health Checks
Do you have a reliable IT consultant assisting you with your business?
Always client-focused, the team at Crackerjack pride themselves on being IT consultants with personality. We don't have ponytails or bunches of keys hanging from our belts. We just provide IT support and strategic direction in easy-to-understand English.
** SPECIAL ** Mention you saw us in Blue Sky Coaching's Living the dream e-zine and, for our initial consult, we will provide a complimentary first hour.
For more information call Mark Abraham at Crackerjack Computing on 0417 414 363 and visit us at www.crackerjack.net.au.
Retro-inspired homewares, gifts and children's items by Vintage Kid, Radio Flyer, Red Wagon, Glamourflage, Minihaha, Rik Rak and many more.
*** Special ***
To celebrate our May store opening, we're offering 10% off any purchase with mention of this advertisement.
Be sure to visit our web store too at www.since53.com.au
Shop 1, 453 Fullarton Road
Phone 8373 2353
Reading this ad? Then why not place yours here. Do you have a product, service or special offer that you'd like to let hundreds of entrepreneurs, SOHO business owners, busy professionals and business executives know about? To find out more about advertising in this e-zine and to reserve your spot for next month, e-mail Tania your details today at email@example.com and include 'e-zine ad' in the subject line.
Advertising Disclaimer: Blue Sky Coaching does not endorse or represent the accuracy or reliability of any of the advertisements included above or the quality of goods, services or information obtained by you in connection with engaging the services of or purchasing goods from the above suppliers.