Send to friends
Click here to send Living the dream to up to 5 friends!
Click here to view this and all previous issues on-line.
Quote of the month
"A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are for."
- John A. Shedd
Next month's feature:
10 Things To Do When Business Goes Quiet
In this issue:
Welcome to Living the dream, Blue Sky Coaching's monthly e-zine, written for small business owners, young entrepreneurs and service industry professionals and filled with cutting edge success tips to help you skyrocket your income, enjoy more personal time off and be known as a star in your field.
If you enjoy receiving Living the dream e-zine, please pass it on to anyone else you think might like to receive it too. Every 50th subscriber will receive a $50 Myer gift card and so will you, if you were responsible for referring them.
You can read all previous issues of Living the dream e-zine any time at: www.blueskycoaching.com.au/ezine.
Hi! from Tania
Kids can be so cute sometimes.
I woke up recently on a Sunday morning, not exactly feeling or looking my Sunday best. Jake pointed at the TV guide liftout on our coffee table (with a very glamourous photo of Denise Richards on the front cover) and declared 'Mummy!' What a compliment!
I made sure I got as much mileage out of that one as possible, by pointing at the cover and asking him again later who that was. I was really pleased he was still adamant it was 'mummy' each time. Bless him!
Tania Basheer - Publisher
Living the dream e-zine
Feature: 10 Tips for Being a Great Leader
Great leaders bring out the best in others. They also improve the thinking of the people around them without telling anyone what to do.
Here are ten concepts, from David Rock's book, Quiet leadership - six steps to transforming performance at work, that, when put into practice, will help you be a great leader and improve your own as well as your team's performance. The first five summarise step one and the remaining five relate to steps two to six to transforming performance:
- Let them do all the thinking: One of the keys to transforming performance is allowing your people to find their own answers. Let them think through their own issues rather than telling them what you think the solution is and what you think they need to do.
- Focus on solutions: Although problems can certainly be interesting to discuss, focusing on solutions is more useful. If you catch yourself focusing on a problem or the drama in a situation, or even getting bogged down in detail, re-focus your attention on identifying and planning the way ahead.
- Remember to stretch: Quiet leaders are comfortable making people feel uncomfortable. They know that stretching people so they feel positively challenged brings growth, and in growth there is aliveness, engagement and passion. All of these are necessary for achieving great performance.
- Accentuate the positive: Continually provide positive feedback in many forms over time to validate, confirm, encourage, support and believe in people's potential. As people start to see themselves in a new light, reality starts to change as well.
- Put process before content: Be highly disciplined in all of your conversations and diligent in ensuring every conversation is as productive as possible every step of the way. Get the process of any conversation right before getting into any of the content. Having good process includes establishing clear expectations so you know at every moment exactly what you're talking about and why, and where you're trying to get to.
- Listen for potential: If you're not measuring and monitoring how people are growing, you can easily fall into the trap of focusing on their problems. Listen for where people are heading rather than for what might not be working and see people as their potential. The first step in seeing positive change in others is to expect.
- Speak with intent:
Be succinct, specific and generous. Being succinct requires you to decide on the essence of what you want to say and say it in as few words as possible. In doing so, you'll keep people's attention and interest. This also allows people to create their own mental models that correlate to the ideas you're trying to share. Being specific means paying close attention to what others say so you can be accurate and detailed in our responses. Being succinct and specific together means including everything that's relevant in a dialogue, and nothing irrelevant. Being generous is a subtle thing - it's about being committed to the other person understanding your message. It means putting yourself in their shoes when you're speaking and taking care to use words they will connect with. Being generous is also a way of showing you care about the other person and it helps
build trust. This invites the other person to take the conversation to a deeper level and, in so doing, opens up the possibility of learning and change.
- Dance toward insight: This step involves asking people the type of questions that will help them think more clearly and identify their own 'aha' moments or insights. To get this dance right, you need to first ask permission before getting personal or taking a conversation to a deeper level, then make sure you're on the same page, then ask your question. As you facilitate this dance, you'll see people's faces changing as they move from the awareness of a dilemma, to reflecting, to having an illumination and then being ready to take action.
- Create new thinking: Quiet leaders do this by starting conversations with identifying the current reality of a person's thinking, widely exploring alternatives for action with them and then tapping into their energy and motivations.
- Follow up: To help people recognise and further embed any habits they're developing or to ensure their new thinking becomes a reality, it's very important to follow up with them. By doing this in a positive and supportive way, we give people the encouragement they need to turn the delicate new circuits they've created in their brains into full-blown hard wiring.
If you'd like some assistance in working through these steps and in successfully building a coaching culture in your business or organisation, please call me on (08) 8338 3134 or 0411 471 941 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'd love to help you do that!
For more business, executive or life coaching tips and strategies to help you achieve your goals and create and live the life you've always wanted, visit: www.blueskycoaching.com.au/ezine/index.php. To find out more about how you can work with me personally, visit: www.blueskycoaching.com.au, or call me on (08) 8338 3134 or e-mail me on email@example.com.
Do You Have a One-Page Strategic Plan?
If you're in business, it's essential to have good strategic plans. And, I don't mean just in your head! I mean written down, working action plans.
If you'd like me to help you document a one-page strategic plan for your business, call me on 0411 471 941 or on (08) 8338 3134 and let's arrange a time. We can do this together in a 3-hour one-to-one workshop.
Call me and arrange to do this in July and I'd be happy to work with you for the special price of just $495 (usually $600) .
De-stress and Break Free with EFT!
De-stress and break free from whatever is holding you back in life with EFT.
Learn this powerful, fast technique now and have the tools you need at your fingertips to completely dissolve your negative emotions, thoughts or behaviours anytime, in just minutes.
Visit www.blueskycoaching.com.au/energytapping.php to find out how you can learn EFT at home, or call me on (08) 8338 3134 or 0411 471 941 to arrange a one-to-one session with me, in person or by telephone.
End of Financial Year Competition - Hurry! Drawn 30 June
Enter for your chance to WIN 2 executive coaching sessions with me plus a copy of Quiet Leadership by David Rock valued at over $750!
Quiet Leadership offers a practical, six-step guide to making permanent workplace performance change by unleashing higher productivity, new levels of morale and greater job satisfaction. Supported by the latest groundbreaking research, Quiet Leadership provides, for the first time, a brain-based approach that will help busy leaders, executives and managers improve their own and their colleagues' performance.
Winner of Autumn Competition: P. Watts
Next Month: 10 Things To Do When Business Goes Quiet
A few months ago, I had a really quiet work month. A lot was going on in Adelaide (I'm being serious now), including the Adelaide Cup, the Fringe, Womadelaide, a heatwave and, of course, Easter, so I wasn't surprised to not be taking on any new clients.
However, I was really sad and surprised to discover just a few weeks ago, that one of my favourite boutique stationery shops in Adelaide was closing down.
So next month, I thought it might be useful to look at 10 things we can do when business goes quiet, before it's too late!
Sponsors and Advertisements
IT Consulting for Small Business
IT Support | Network Management | Web Design | IT Health Checks
Do you have a reliable IT consultant assisting you with your business?
Always client-focused, the team at Crackerjack pride themselves on being IT consultants with personality. We don't have ponytails or bunches of keys hanging from our belts. We just provide IT support and strategic direction in easy-to-understand English.
** SPECIAL ** Mention you saw us in Blue Sky Coaching's Living the dream e-zine and, for our initial consult, we will provide a complimentary first hour.
For more information call Mark Abraham at Crackerjack Computing on 0417 414 363 and visit us at www.crackerjack.net.au.
Active Dreaming Workshop
Sunday, 27 July 2008
10.00 am to 5.00 pm
Active Dreaming is a conscious process to harness your inner wisdom, bring it into your everyday life, and balance the yin/yang assets of your left and right brain.
Conscious journeys into the dreamspace, imagination and creative source help to:
- Release attachments that hinder your freedom
- Dream a possible future self
- Recover parts of yourself lost to trauma, illness or yearning
- Diagnose and be your own self healer
- Integrate body, mind and spirit
The Lightning Dreamwork process, dream re-entry and dream tracking are basic exercises you will learn and take with you to use on your own.
Ruth Lewis is a certified graduate of the Robert Moss School of Active Dreaming.
Ruth’s background includes psychology, nursing, executive coaching and management consulting in Canada, the US, Brazil and the Far East.
To register, call or email Ruth on (08) 8344-1244 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Gary Clayton's Clean A Car Mobile Service
Mobile: 0414 822 729
Professional cleaning and detailing for busy people. Save money by having your car cleaned on a regular basis - weekly, fortnightly or monthly. Special rates apply on inspection of your vehicle.
We not only clean cars, we also clean and detail camper vans, trucks, boats, caravans, buses, motor bikes, prime movers and aeroplanes.
All work professionally done at your home, garage, office, hotel or any other convenient location. Let us bring your valued asset back to new! This will increase its market value by many dollars.
Phone now! Mobile: 0414 822 729
Leading with Emotional Intelligence - 2 day programme
- A unique EI test defining your abilities with a debrief
- Learn about perceiving, using, understanding and managing emotions
- Self-leadership – understanding behaviour, attitude, motivation, goals, beliefs and emotional triggers
- Impact of experience – increasing self-awareness
- Personality and communication strategies
- The Psychology of SuccessTM
- Increased self awareness of your behaviour
- Increased confidence in leading yourself and others
- Increased ability to fulfill your potential
- Access to practical tools and techniques.
Where: Belair Park Country Club
When: Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30 July 2008
Investment: Only $1,695 – inc. materials, debriefs, lunches and refreshments
Contact us: On 08 8377 3339 or email email@example.com
Inspire yourself to be the best you can be!
Reading this ad? Then why not place yours here. Do you have a product, service or special offer that you'd like to let hundreds of entrepreneurs, SOHO business owners, busy professionals and business executives know about? To find out more about advertising in this e-zine and to reserve your spot for next month, e-mail Tania your details today at firstname.lastname@example.org and include 'e-zine ad' in the subject line.
Advertising Disclaimer: Blue Sky Coaching does not endorse or represent the accuracy or reliability of any of the advertisements included above or the quality of goods, services or information obtained by you in connection with engaging the services of or purchasing goods from the above suppliers.