Send to friends
Click here to send Living the dream to up to 5 friends!
Click here to view this and all previous issues on-line.
Quote of the month
"You can't hit a home run unless you step up to the plate.
You can't catch fish unless you put your line in the water.
You can't reach your goals if you don't try."
- Kathy Seligman
Next month's feature:
10 Time-Saving Tools for Busy Households
In this issue:
Welcome to Living the dream, Blue Sky Coaching's monthly e-zine, written for small business owners, young entrepreneurs and service industry professionals and filled with cutting edge success tips to help you skyrocket your income, enjoy more personal time off and be known as a star in your field.
If you enjoy receiving Living the dream e-zine, please pass it on to anyone else you think might like to receive it too. Every 50th subscriber will receive a $50 Myer gift card and so will you, if you were responsible for referring them.
You can read all previous issues of Living the dream e-zine any time at: www.blueskycoaching.com.au/ezine.
Hi! from Tania
This week I've been busily getting everything ready for Holly's Christening, leaving very little time for work. Fingers crossed the stormy weather we've been having clears up by Sunday because we plan to have the Christening party in our garden. Not sure if we can squeeze 40 people into our house if it doesn't - I guess we'll find out.
Jake has loved having tradesmen here again (did they actually ever leave?). I've just noticed he's left his Bob the Builder spanner on my mouse pad. Good thing too, as that's just given me an idea for my next e-zine article.
He's a gorgeous boy. On Monday night, we had a power failure. As I frantically lit candles around the house, he followed me around and sang happy birthday. Too cute : )
Tania Basheer - Publisher
Living the dream e-zine
Feature: 10 Ways to Work Less and Achieve More
How does a 4-hour work week sound to you?
According to Timothy Ferriss and his book The 4-hour work week, it is possible, even if you're someone else's employee.The idea is to reduce your work time to the bare minimum input for maximum results so you can spend more time doing things you want to do and being who you want to be.
At the moment, I have a 4-hour work day one day a week and an 8-hour work day on another. So, I'm getting there! Plenty of free time to go to Thomas the Tank Engine concerts with Jake during the week : )
Here are 10 ideas from Timothy's book worth contemplating:
- Get inspired: Focus your energy on doing what excites you. Don't limit your potential by pursuing only realistic, boring goals. Challenge yourself! This will give you an added energy boost and the inspiration needed to achieve your goals. It will often also take up less of your time.
- Work only when you're most effective: Ever noticed how much longer even simple things can take to do when you work on them when you're feeling tired? By working only when you're most effective, whenever that might be for you, life is both more productive and enjoyable.
- Apply the Pareto Principle to your work:
Be effective, not efficient. There's a difference! Effectiveness is doing the things that bring you closer to your goals. Efficiency is performing a given task (whether important or not) in the most economical manner possible. Being efficient without regard to effectiveness is the default mode of the universe. Efficiency is still important, but useless unless it's applied to the right things. Use the Pareto Principle - also known as the 80/20 Principle (meaning 80% of results come from 20% of time and effort devoted to them) and eliminate anything you're doing that's a waste of your time. So, limiting your tasks to the important ones will shorten your work time and increase your productivity.
- Apply Parkinson's Law too:
This law says that a task will swell in perceived importance and complexity in relation to the time allotted for completing it. It's the magic of the deadline. If you're given 24 hours to complete a project, the time pressure forces you to focus on execution and you have no choice but to strip it back to the bare essentials. Given a week to complete the same task, you now have six extra days to make a mountain out of a molehill. Given two months, it can become a mental monster. The end result of the shorter deadline is almost inevitably of equal or higher quality due to greater focus. Therefore, shorten work time to limit tasks to the important. Ideally, use both the Pareto Principle and Parkinson's Law together for your best results. Identify the few critical tasks that will contribute the most to your results and schedule them with very short and clear deadlines.
- Find people to work for you: Why spend your time on an activity that you can outsource at a cost of $20 an hour? Outsource as much as you can to free up your time to do something else you want or need to do, or to earn several times more than that working on something else. Timothy Ferriss even outsources some of his personal life! He uses remote executive assistants from Brickwork for business projects and and the concierge service Your Man In India for both personal and business tasks. ( Note: Thanks Trish for researching this article for me : ) )
- Emphasise your strengths instead of fixing your weaknesses: Most of us are good at a handful of things and pretty miserable at others. It's far more lucrative to leverage your strengths than to fix all the chinks in your armour. Focus on the best use of your weapons. Choose multiplication of results using your strengths over incremental improvements from fixing weaknesses.
- Forget time management: You shouldn't be trying to do more in each day or trying to fill every second with a work fidget of some type. Busyness is most often used to avoid doing the few critically important, but uncomfortable actions. Instead, focus on prioritising.
- Create a 'not-to-do' list and live by it: Cut out all time-consuming, unproductive activities that you currently do to fill time to feel as though you're being productive. Be honest with yourself. What are your crutch activities?
- Stop multi-tasking: Yes, you heard right! If you prioritise properly, there's no need to multitask. It's a symptom of 'task creep' - doing more to feel productive while actually accomplishing less. You should have, at most, two primary tasks or goals per day. If you're not sure what these should be, practise looking at your 'to do' list and asking yourself, 'If this is the only thing I accomplish today, will I be satisfied with my day?' Work on each of these things separately from start to finish without distraction. Divided attention will result in more frequent interruptions, lapses in concentration, poorer net results and less gratification.
- Practice the art of non-finishing: Starting something doesn't automatically justify finishing it. Develop the habit of non-finishing that which is boring or unproductive.
For more business, executive and life coaching tips to help you achieve your goals and create and live the life you've always wanted, visit: www.blueskycoaching.com.au/ezine/index.php. To find out more about how you can work with me personally, visit: www.blueskycoaching.com.au,
or call me on 0411 471 941 or (08) 8338 3134 or e-mail me on firstname.lastname@example.org.
*New* 30-minute Coaching Calls
Would you like to resolve a dilemma or challenge that really matters to you?
Book in a 30-minute coaching call with me and let's talk! I'm currently available on Tuesday afternoons and Friday mornings and afternoons. Cost only $99.00.
Here's some feedback I received from my client Anna, a small business owner, the day after our coaching call. She got into action straight away and had her issue resolved within 48 hours!
I can't believe we solved my filing system problem in 30 minutes. You are amazing!
I was so stressed and overwhelmed when I came to you with all the paperwork that was piling up around my office, waiting to be filed away. Our sesion helped me understand that I wasn't unmotivated to work rather I was overwhelmed. You helped me not only understand what was the cause of my stress, but also helped me find a way of sorting the problem out in 30 magical moments. You are a genius.
My study now is a joy to work in. I have put all the systems we talked about in place and there is not one piece of paper floating around. I can't thank you enough for your valuable insight,
Please call me on either 0411 471 941 or (08) 8338 3134 to arrange your 30-minute coaching call.
De-Stress and Break Free using EFT!
Find out how to drastically reduce your stress levels in just 10 minutes in my fr*ee report: How to cut your stress levels in half in less than 10 minutes using EFT.
In fact, EFT can help you break free from whatever's stopping you from living your life to the full.
It takes just minutes to do and can help with anything from controlling your fears, ending self-sabotaging and limiting beliefs and behaviours, through to reducing physical pains and weight loss.
Visit www.blueskycoaching.com.au/energytapping.php to learn EFT any time through one of my EFT Home Study packages, or call me on (08) 8338 3134 or 0411 471 941 if you'd like to arrange a one-to-one session, workshop or conference presentation.
Winter Special Competition - 4 Days to Go!
Drawn 31 August 2009.
Enter now at blueskycoaching.com.au/special.php and WIN a copy of my *new* EFT Home Study Package PLUS which includes a copy of my Energy Tapping Workshop DVD, a downloadable workbook, hard-cover workbook folder PLUS a 60-minute EFT session with me, in person or by phone, to address any specific issues you'd like help with. Valued at $A197.
EFT is a very powerful and easy-to-use technique that takes just a few minutes to do and you can quickly learn to use it with my EFT Home Study Package PLUS. It can help you dissolve any negative emotions, thoughts or behaviours, so you can start living your ideal lifestyle.
Last competition winner: M. Cain
Next Month: 10 Time-Saving Tools for Busy Households
Do you have rooms in your home that look like they've exploded? Do you feel as though you never seem to have time to breathe in between all those things at home that need to get done?
Next month we'll look at some tools to help save time at home and give you back some more personal time.
Sponsors and Advertisements
Can Business Blogging Boost your Bottom Line?
A 'blog' is short for a 'web log'. It's like an online diary and millions of businesses are reaping the benefits of having one. If you want to get into business blogging but don't know the first thing about it, then this session - designed especially for small business - will give you the information to help you decide if it's for you.
If you've ever thought about having a blog for your business, you can't afford to miss this seminar!
This one hour session will be delivered by Diane Lee from mosaic communication, on 3 September 2009 at Adelaide's Inner West BEC, Thebarton. An experienced trainer, well known for her lively, informative and passionate presentations, Diane will demystify blogging and talk you through the pros and cons of having a business blog.
Email email@example.com for further information or visit www.mosaic-communication.biz to download the seminar flyer and register.
Join us "Inside Morocco"this weekend for our
FESTIVAL OF MOROCCAN EVENTS!
Sample delicious Moroccan food on Saturday 29 August between 12 pm and 2 pm, prepared by Mohamed Bartaouche of Marrakesh Restaurant of Hyde Park.
Kleo, the Gypsy fortune teller will be giving readings and Vanessa from Velvet Henna will offer henna painting from 3 pm to 5 pm. And, we'll be screening the film Babel from 7 pm.
Places are limited so please call us on (08) 8132 1414 asap to RSVP.
We'll wind up our festival on Sunday 30 August with a travel seminar at 2 pm, hosted by Kerrie Buivydas, co-proprietor of Inside Morocco. Kerrie's knowledge of Morocco is extensive, having lived and worked near Ifrane for two years. She'll give an insight into experiencing the many facets of the western kingdom.
We look forward to seeing you Inside Morocco!
Kerrie, Janet and the Inside Morocco team
149 Magill Road, STEPNEY SA
Bliss Aroma Therapies
Joanna Smith at Bliss Aroma Therapies is a fully qualified Remedial Massage Therapist and Aroma Therapist. Treat yourself to a holistic massage to enjoy the benefits of reduced muscle tension and stress, increased mobility and improved physical and emotional wellbeing.
Mention Blue Sky Coaching and receive a 1-hour massage for only $50! *
(Price normally $70 per 1-hour massage and $50 per 1/2-hour massage)
* Offer also applies to gift certificates too! *
Health fund rebates apply.
Contact Joanna for an appointment: 0407 791 484
429 Henley Beach Road
Brooklyn Park SA
Reading this ad? Then why not place yours here. Do you have a product, service or special offer that you'd like to let hundreds of entrepreneurs, SOHO business owners, busy professionals and business executives know about? To find out more about advertising in this e-zine and to reserve your spot for next month, e-mail Tania your details today at firstname.lastname@example.org and include 'e-zine ad' in the subject line.
Advertising Disclaimer: Blue Sky Coaching does not endorse or represent the accuracy or reliability of any of the advertisements included above or the quality of goods, services or information obtained by you in connection with engaging the services of or purchasing goods from the above suppliers.