Send to friends
Click here to send Living the dream to up to 5 friends!
Click here to view this and all previous issues on-line.
Quote of the month
'Out of the strain of the doing, into the peace of the done.'
- Julia Louis Woodruff
Next month's feature:
10 Reasons to Eat More Chocolate
In this issue:
Welcome to Living the dream, Blue Sky Coaching's monthly e-zine, written for small business owners, young entrepreneurs and service industry professionals and filled with cutting edge success tips to help you skyrocket your income, enjoy more personal time and be known as a star in your field.
If you enjoy receiving Living the dream e-zine, please pass it on to anyone else you think might like to receive it too. Every 50th subscriber will receive a $50 Myer gift card and so will you, if you were responsible for referring them.
You can read all previous issues of Living the dream e-zine any time at: www.blueskycoaching.com.au/ezine.
Hi! from Tania
With everything going on in Adelaide lately, I actually had a whole week this month when my clients re-scheduled their sessions, which gave me an opportunity to get more done both at home and in my office. Quite synchronistic really, given this month's topic is getting things done.
Must go, as we're off to the Our World, My Home Children's Art Exhibition now at the Dunstan Playhouse to see one of Jake's best works of art. If you happen to go, look out for his upward sloping house with pink roof and windows.
Tania Basheer - Publisher
Living the dream e-zine
Feature: 10 Ways to Get Things Done
Do you struggle to get things done?
According to David Allen, bestselling author of Getting things done, no matter what the setting, there are 5 stages we need to go through to get through our tasks:
'We 1.collect things that command our attentions; 2.process what they mean and what to do about them; and 3. organize the results, which we 4. review as options for what we choose to 5. do.' Visit David's website to download a chart illustrating these 5 stages.
Unfortunately, one of the major reasons many people haven't had a lot of success with getting organised, is simply that they have tried to do all 5 stages at the same time. For example, when they sit down to 'make a list' they try to collect the most important things in some order that reflects priorities and sequences, without setting out many or any real actions to take.
Here are 10 tips to help manage each of these stages:
- Gather together 100% of all things incomplete in your world: To eliminate any 'holes in the bucket' and get on top of everything undone - personal or professional, big or little, urgent or of minor importance - gather all of
your 'stuff' together using a collection device and make sure it's somewhere physical, other than your head. For example, use a physical in-basket, e-mail, paper-based note-taking, electronic note-taking or a voice-recording device. Most people have several collection devices operating at once and are more or less out of control. Allen suggests the following three requirements to get this phase working effectively 1.Capture every 'open loop' (thing undone) into your collection system and out of your head; 2. Use as few collection buckets or devices as you can get by with; and 3.Empty these buckets regularly.
- Work out what it is: The next important step is to work out what 'stuff' is and what to do about it. Ask yourself, 'Is this 'stuff' actionable?'
- If the 'stuff' is actionable, there are three possibilities:
1. If it's trash and no longer needed, eliminate it. 2. If no action is needed now, but something might need to be done someday later, incubate it in a 'tickler' file or calendar these actions. Examples might be books to read, wine to taste, things to do with the kids. 3. If the item is potentially useful information that might be needed for something later, reference it in a good filing system so it can be easily retrieved when required. Allen recommends one, simple A - Z alphabetical filing system to be used to file everything by topic, project, person or company so a document can be in only 3 or 4 places if you forget exactly where you put it. Also, get rid of hanging files if you can and use just plain folders standing up by themselves in your filing drawer or bookshelves.
- If the 'stuff' is not actionable, two things need to be decided: 1. What project or outcome have you committed to? 2. What's the next action required?
- If it's about a project:
If the actionable item relates to a project (where a project means any desired result that requires more than one action step), capture the outcome you've committed to on a 'Projects List.' For example, publish book, update will or finalise budgets. Projects don't need to be listed in any particular order. Just create a master list so you can review it regularly enough to ensure appropriate next actions are being defined for each project. Each project listed will serve as a stake in the ground that reminds you that you have an 'open loop.' A weekly review of the list will bring this item back to you as something that's still outstanding. It will stay fresh and alive in your management system until it is completed or eliminated. Your 'Projects List' will be merely an index. All of the details, plans and supporting information that you may need as you work on each project should
be contained in separate file folders, computer files, notebooks or binders.
- What's the next action?: The 'next action' is the next physical, visible activity that needs to be engaged in to move the current situation toward completion. For example, 'Talk to Angela about the filing system we need to set up' or 'Research database management software on the Web'.
- Will the next action take less than 2 minutes to do?: If yes, do it the moment it's defined!
- Will the next action take more than 2 minutes to do?: If yes, ask yourself 'Am I the right person to do it?
- Delegate it: If you're not the right person to do the next action, delegate it to whoever is.
- Defer it: If you are the right person to do the next action and it will take longer than 2 minutes to do, defer acting on it immediately. For every action that needs to happen at a specific time or on a specific day - enter these in your calendar or diary. Those actions that need to be done as soon as they can - add these to your "Next Actions List'. And, all those that you are waiting for others to do, put those on a 'Waiting For List'.
More tips: 10 Ways to Work Less and Achieve More, 10 Ways to Get Organised,
10 Ways to Get and Stay Motivated, 10 Ways to Overcome Procrastination, 10 Ways to Stay Focused, Top 10 Tips on Reaching Your Goals.
For more business and life coaching tips to help you achieve your goals and create and live the life you've always wanted, visit: www.blueskycoaching.com.au/ezine/index.php. To find out more about how you can work with me personally, visit:
www.blueskycoaching.com.au, or call me on 0411 471 941 or (08) 8338 3134 or e-mail me on
April EFT Circle - Pain Relief Using EFT
Join me and the Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) Special Interest Group (SIG) next month in our next monthly EFT Circle meeting on Tuesday 12 April 2011, in the boardroom of the Fullarton Park Community Centre, 411 Fullarton Rd, Fullarton SA, from 7.30 pm to 9.30 pm. Cost: $10.
Please let me know by reply e-mail if you'll be joining us and if you'd like to be included on my EFT mailing list. Next month's topic will be Pain relief using EFT.
Our EFT Circles are for coaches, therapists and and anyone else in the community interested in exploring EFT applications, such as how EFT can be used to relieve pain, facilitate weight loss, overcome addictions and boost confidence and self-esteem.
To learn this simple, proven technique, see the many options I have available to work with me at: www.blueskycoaching.com.au/energytapping.php.
I am available for 1:1 sessions, speaking engagements and private group workshops on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Direct Line: (08) 8338 3134
Mobile: 0411 471 941
EFT Sale Ends Easter Monday - Shop Now!
Do you, or a loved one, feel held back or stuck in some way in life? Do you/they procrastinate about making choices or taking action? Have you/they been talking about making life changes like overcoming fears, better managing relationships or your emotions, quitting smoking, losing weight, becoming more confident - but not making much progress?
If you'd like to experience a life free of these kinds of limitations, or to help make this possible for someone you love, please visit my website at: www.blueskycoaching.com.au/energytapping.php where, for until Easter Monday, 25 April you can buy any of my EFT DVD packages, or book a 1:1 personal session with me (in-person or by telephone) at $20.00 off
of the the usual cost! Just
enter the promotional code 'eastergift' to receive your $20.00 off.
Be quick! This Living the dream subscriber offer is only available between today and Easter Monday.
Easter Coaching Competition - Drawn 22 April
Enter now at: blueskycoaching.com.au/special.php for your chance to WIN two business, executive or life coaching sessions with me and a copy of David Allen's book Getting Things Done, valued at over $300!
Discover David Allen's powerful methods and vastly increase your personal organisation, efficiency and creative results - at work and in life.
Lean how to:
- Apply the 'do it, delegate it, defer it, drop it' rule
- Reassess goals and stay focused in changing situations
- Plan and unstick projects
- Overcome feelings of confusion, anxiety and being overwhelmed
- Feel fine about what you're not doing.
Summer Competition Winner: D Parsons
Next Month: 10 Reasons to Eat More Chocolate
With Easter just around the corner, I thought it would be fun and interesting to look at 10 reasons why eating more chocolate (the good dark stuff, that is) can be healthy for us. So, feel free to start stocking up on some good quality, dark chocolate Easter eggs and treats and enjoy them!
Sponsors and Advertisements
Always run off your feet? Never have enough time? Lifestyle Elements is a personal concierge service designed to give you your time back!
Your personal concierge can help tick off all those items on your 'to do' list - errand running, grocery shopping, quote sourcing, meeting the plumber, ironing and dry cleaning ...
There is no job too big or small for lifestyle Elements. They provide you with a professional, personalised service so you can focus on the important things in your life.
... their services are only limited by your imagination. Gift vouchers available for Mothers Day!
Contact Abbie Allen on 08 8292 2286 and take advantage of Lifestyle Elements 'F.REE initial consultation' and discuss further how they can assist you or email Abbie on email@example.com.
Visit their website at www.lifestyleelements.com.au
Watts The Solution
Bookkeeping, Training and Business Solutions
Let us help you to take the dread out of getting your books and paperwork up to date and in order!
We will help:
- Create systems that are easy to use;
- Train you or your staff to do your bookkeeping and set-up your systems; or
- We can do your bookkeeping for you on-site, or provide a pick-up and delivery service.
20 years' experience in all aspects of accounts and office work and Quicken Accredited Trainer since 1999.
We care and want to help your business succeed. Call or e-mail Pam on 0419 846 805 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kick It To Me!
Think of what it is you do that you wish you didn't have to. Think of what you need to do - want to do - should do - but don't have the time to do. Maybe you don't know how to do it. Or maybe just the thought of it is too much.
Kick It To Me!
It might be at home or perhaps it's in your business. You just wish you had someone else to do this 'stuff' for you.
Kick It To Me!
At Kick it To Me Enterprises we believe that we can make your life easier.
We do many things - just visit our website and you'll see - but essentially we provide services to make your life more organised and take the weight off your mind and lessen the 'To-Do' list.
Kick It To Me - South Australian proud.
Reading this ad? Then why not place yours here. Do you have a product, service, workshop or special offer that you'd like to let hundreds of entrepreneurs, SOHO business owners, busy professionals and business executives know about? To find out more about advertising in this e-zine and to reserve your spot for next month, e-mail Tania your details today at email@example.com and include 'e-zine ad' in the subject line. As a subscriber to this e-zine, you can receive f.ree advertising, based on availability, if you submit your advertising copy to me by the 20th day of the month.
Advertising Disclaimer: Blue Sky Coaching does not endorse or represent the accuracy or reliability of any of the advertisements included above or the quality of goods, services or information obtained by you in connection with engaging the services of or purchasing goods from the above suppliers.